- (especially of metamorphic rock) having thin leaflike layers or strata
- (often used as a combining form) having or resembling a leaf or having a specified kind or number of leaves; "`foliate' is combined with the prefix `tri' to form the word `trifoliate'"
- ornamented with foliage or foils; "foliate tracery"; "a foliated capital"
- grow leaves; "the tree foliated in Spring"
- number the pages of a book or manuscript
- coat or back with metal foil; "foliate glass"
- decorate with leaves
- hammer into thin flat foils; "foliate metal"